25th Judicial District Magistrates
Principal function: Provide an independent unbiased review of complaints brought to the office by police officers, sheriffs, deputies, state troopers and citizens of the Commonwealth.
Other duties: Issue arrest warrants requested by law enforcement officials or citizens
• Issue search warrants requested by law enforcement to aid in an investigation
• Consider bail and decide bond amounts
• Commit an accused person to jail awaiting a court date
• Issue warrants and subpoenas requiring people to appear before them or a court
• Issue emergency custody orders for people to be evaluated by a mental health professional to determine whether they need to be hospitalized
• Issue civil or criminal temporary mental detention orders, which commit mentally ill people to a mental health facility.
• Issue emergency protective orders in domestic violence situations ordering alleged aggressors of family violence to abide by prescribed conditions, which may include a no-contact order and determining who should be granted temporary custody of the residence