We work with the community to achieve its desired future.
The Planning Department is committed to advancing the quality lifestyle and economic
development as envisioned by the City’s Comprehensive Plan. The Planning staff facilitates
public processes. Principle functions and responsibilities include the following areas:
• Reviews and manages Conditional Use, Rezoning, Subdivisions,
Street/Alley Vacations, and Historic Structure Demolition/Relocation Applications;
• Coordines and implements long range planning policies and goals related to
historic preservation, transportation and environmental planning, community and
economic development as embodied in the City’s Comprehensive Plan;
• Performs City Ordinance review and revisions, particularly the zoning and subdivision ordinances;
• Assists in the Development of the City’s Capital Improvement Plan;
• Provides technical support to the Waynesboro Planning Commission;
• Responds to Citizen requests and inquiries.
The Planning Department also pursues a variety of special projects related to Community Development, such as the Safe Routes to Schools Program.
The City’s Subdivision regulations (Chapter 74 of the City Code) are listed in Municode (click the City Code
link above). For information on the revised Zoning Ordinance (Chapter 98 of the City Code), visit the City Attorney's