Traffic Safety

Submit a completed Sign / Traffic Control / Traffic Calming Request Form and, if applicable, submit a completed Neighborhood Petition for Sign / Traffic Calming Device in a Residential Area Form to the following address:
Sign / Traffic Control / Traffic Calming Requests
Department of Public Works
941 Fir Street 
Waynesboro, VA  22980 

If a handicapped parking sign is requested, and is to be located on the city right-of-way, it is our policy to make the installation at the city’s cost. Once the handicapped individual has moved or is deceased, the city will remove the sign and post. Please be aware that a handicapped parking space located on the city right-of-way would be available for use by anyone with a handicapped tag.

If a handicapped parking sign is requested and is to be located on private property, the city will supply and install the completed sign and post for actual cost of these services and materials plus a 15% overhead charge. The sign becomes the property and responsibility of the property owner.

All requests are subject to a review process which includes receipt of comments from the following departments:
  • ADA
  • Engineering
  • Police
  • Public Works Director
  • Streets
  • Traffic
Collectively referred to as the Traffic Safety Concerns Committee (TSCC). Further input might be required from outside agencies such as the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) and the city’s contracted traffic engineering specialists. TSCC comments are typically reviewed by the Transportation Safety Commission (TSC) in order to provide a citizens’ level of oversight for staff conclusions. 

In following the code of the City of Waynesboro, recommendations from the TSC are reviewed for final decision by the city manager or his representative. If request is approved, a work order to perform the applicable work will be created by the Public Works Department.

Traffic Calming Request
Some requests that do not meet MUTCD code for traffic control signage may be reviewed as a traffic calming request if a legitimate traffic control problem is deemed to exist. The term traffic calming is used to describe methods of altering the behavior of drivers to suit the character of the area they move through. The most apt example of this character occurs where a local street is used by motorists as a shortcut from one arterial to another. Because cut-through traffic often moves faster than neighborhood traffic and there is a lot more of it, this use can severely degrade the character of the street. Increased volume and increased speed can lead to a more dangerous, less pleasant street, and discourages its use by bicyclists, pedestrians and children.

If the original request is for a neighborhood to be considered for the traffic calming program, please consider the following questions as you prepare your application:
  • The location of where the problem is occurring, including the name of the street and the neighborhood. If there are problems on more than one street, then all the streets should be named. If the problem is neighborhood-wide, this should be stated.
  • The nature of the problem. This should state explicitly if the problem is one of vehicle speed, traffic volume, and/or safety concerns. Be sure to include time of day and whether it is during the week or on weekends.
  • Evidence of the problem in question. The statement should include more than stating I feel that people are driving too fast. Instead relate any stories, fears, or specific reasons you feel that people are driving too fast (or too many cars, or too dangerous).
  • An assessment of the cause of the problem. Does your neighborhood contain a shortcut that people are using? Is there congestion on a nearby arterial that may explain the increased traffic?
  • Evidence of the extent of the problem. Have you discussed this with others in the neighborhood? Do others feel this is a problem?