Posted March 11, 2020
The City of Waynesboro government is closely monitoring developments related to the spread and prevention of the coronavirus. Some of our registrants have expressed concern about attending the Shenandoah Valley Plant Symposium on Friday, March 20,2020. We do not take your concerns lightly.
For most people, the symptoms of the coronavirus are mild and similar to the common cold or other respiratory ailments. For a small percentage of individuals, primarily the elderly or people with existing health problems, the virus may be serious and even life-threatening. There are simple things you can do to help keep yourself and others healthy and we would ask everyone to do these things:
- If you do not feel well, do not attend the symposium. Stay home and get well.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing; going to the bathroom; and before eating or preparing food.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Refrain from handshakes and hugs.
- Bring your personal hand sanitizer with you and plan on using it frequently throughout the event.
- Use the sanitizing wipes supplied by your host.
Taking these steps will help us have a safe day of learning and sharing ideas. If however, you still have apprehension about participating, we will be instituting a liberal refund policy. If you do not wish to attend, notify our office and we will issue you the full refund of your registration.
If you have any additional questions or concerns please direct them to Stephanie Seltzer, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 540-942-6738.
Waynesboro Parks and Recreation
If you would like more information regarding the coronavirus, its threat and how to best protect yourself you may refer to the following reliable sources:
Virginia Department of Health Coronavirus info http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/surveillance-and-investigation/novel-coronavirus/
U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Coronavirus info https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
The Virginia Department of Health has established a call center for questions related to COVID-19, 877-ASK-VDH3 (or 877-275-8343). You can also call the local office of the Virginia Department of Health at 540-332-7830.