What do I do if I’m concerned about the condition of a piece of property in the city?

You can file an inspection request with our property maintenance inspector to have them verify if a code violation exists.

What is the process after I submit an inspection request?

Once a written inspection request is received, we will send a code enforcement officer out to inspect the property within a few days to verify if a code violation exists. If the property is in violation of a city ordinance, a written notice of violation will be mailed by certified mail to the legal property owner of record. The legal owner of the property will be given a specific time period to correct the violation and bring the property into compliance. If the violation is not resolved within the specified time frame, the city will take measures to bring the property into compliance.

I have a mold and/or mildew issue; can you help me with my problem?

The Property Maintenance Division does not deal with mold or mildew.

When is grass considered to be in violation?

Grass is officially in violation of the city code when it reaches a height of 10 inches or higher.

Does the Property Maintenance Division handle complaints about animals?

No. Contact the animal control officer with the Police Department for concerns about animals.

I have a neighbor who is a repeat offender. Do I have to file an inspection request every time I have a concern?

Yes. The Property Maintenance Program operates on a complaint basis. There are slower times throughout the year when we are proactive but we do not have the manpower to patrol the entire city on a regular basis to look for violations. By filing an inspection request every time there is a concern, it ensures the property will be inspected in a timely fashion.

What can I do about my neighbor’s tree limbs growing across the property line to my property?

This is a civil issue that needs to be addressed between the neighbors or their attorneys.

There’s a big pile of trash in the street and/or alley. What should I do?

Check the knuckle-boom truck pick-up schedule. If the pile of debris is out at an improper time, contact the Department of Public Works.